Sodium methylate solution uses
Sodium methylate solution, also known as sodium methoxide solution, is a chemical compound that consists of sodium methylate (NaOCH3) dissolved in a suitable solvent, often methanol (CH3OH). Sodium methylate is a strong base and is widely used in various applications. Here are some common uses of sodium methylate solution:
- Biodiesel production: Sodium methylate is commonly used as a catalyst in the transesterification process to convert vegetable oils or animal fats into biodiesel. It helps in the reaction between the oil or fat and an alcohol (usually methanol) to produce fatty acid methyl esters (FAME), which are the main components of biodiesel.
- Pharmaceutical synthesis: Sodium methylate can be used as a reagent or a catalyst in the synthesis of various pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical intermediates. It is particularly useful in reactions involving the formation or cleavage of carbon-oxygen or carbon-nitrogen bonds.
- Chemical synthesis: Sodium methylate is a versatile base that can be used in a wide range of chemical reactions. It can be employed to deprotonate acidic compounds, initiate condensation reactions, and promote elimination reactions. It is commonly used in the production of esters, ethers, and other organic compounds.
- Herbicides and pesticides: Sodium methylate can be used as a component or precursor in the production of certain herbicides and pesticides. It helps in the synthesis of active ingredients that are effective in controlling weeds, pests, and diseases in agriculture.
- Alkoxide reagent: Sodium methylate solution serves as a convenient source of alkoxide ions (CH3O-) in organic synthesis. These alkoxide ions can react with various electrophiles, such as alkyl halides or carbonyl compounds, to form new organic compounds.
Sodium Ethoxide LIQUID
Sodium ethoxide (C2H5ONa) is an organic compound that exists as a white solid at room temperature. However, when dissolved in certain solvents such as ethanol, it forms a liquid solution known as sodium ethoxide liquid. This liquid solution is commonly used as a strong base in organic synthesis and various chemical reactions.
Sodium ethoxide is formed by reacting metallic sodium (Na) with ethanol (C2H5OH) in a controlled environment. The reaction produces sodium ethoxide and hydrogen gas (H2). The resulting sodium ethoxide can then be dissolved in a suitable solvent, typically ethanol, to form the liquid solution.
Sodium ethoxide liquid is highly reactive due to the presence of the strong base, ethoxide ion (C2H5O-). It is often used as a reagent in organic chemistry for various transformations such as deprotonation, condensation reactions, and alkoxide substitutions. It is particularly useful in reactions involving the formation of carbon-carbon (C-C) and carbon-heteroatom (C-X, where X is a heteroatom like oxygen, nitrogen, etc.) bonds.
When handling sodium ethoxide liquid, it is important to take necessary precautions as it is corrosive and can cause severe burns. It should be stored in a tightly sealed container away from moisture and air to prevent its degradation.
What Is the Use of Sodium Ethoxide in Industrial Production?
When it comes to ethanol, many people immediately think of alcohol. But wine is only one of many ethanol products, and ethanol is widely used in industrial production. What is the use of ethanol in industrial production?
Industrial sodium ethoxide, that is, sodium ethoxide used in industry, is also known as denatured ethanol and industrial fire wine. The purity is usually 95% and 99%. There are two main production methods: synthesis and brewing. The overall cost of synthesis is very low and the ethanol content is high. Brewed industrial alcohol typically has an ethanol content of greater than or equal to 95% and a methanol content of less than 1%.
There are more than 200 kinds of chemical products using industrial ethanol as raw materials,
1. Widely used in basic organic raw materials (such as chlorohydrin, ether, ethyl acetate, etc.), pesticides (such as various organophosphorus pesticides, acaricides, etc.) and rubber, plastics, artificial fibers, detergents and other organic chemical products ;
2. Industrial ethanol is an important organic solvent, widely used in the production of industrial coatings, dyes, oils, etc.;
3. As a fuel, it is an environmentally friendly and clean energy that is vigorously promoted at present.
Sodium ethoxide is also alcohol, but it contains small amounts of methanol, aldehydes, organic acids and other impurities, which greatly increase its toxicity. If you drink industrial ethanol by mistake, it may cause poisoning or even death. Therefore, my country clearly prohibits the use of industrial sodium ethoxide to produce various products.
The Difference Between Sodium Methoxide and Sodium Ethoxide
China’s sodium methoxide has been produced for decades and is already a mature chemical product. Due to the low content of free alkali in the sodium methoxide product produced by the metal sodium method, it has better catalytic activity, and its market usage is on the rise.
Sodium methoxide is a common organic chemical base used to make molecules ranging from pharmaceuticals to agrochemicals. Sodium ethoxide is especially useful as a condensation agent. Catalyst Sodium methoxide is a common catalyst. Its hygroscopicity is not as strong as sodium ethylate, its properties are more stable, and its quality adjustment is simple during production.
Sodium methoxide in methanol is produced from sodium metal and methanol using batch manufacturing techniques. Solid sodium methoxide degrades into a variety of different sodium salts when exposed to air. In organic synthesis, sodium methoxide can be used as an alkaline condensation agent and catalyst. It is used to make fragrances, dyes, and other chemicals. Vitamins B1, A, and sulfadiazine are all made from it.
Do You Know Trimethyl Borate?
Trimethyl borate is a chemical substance, a colorless liquid. Stable in dry air, hydrolyzed into methanol and boric acid when meeting with water. Miscible with ether, tetrahydrofuran, isopropylamine, hexane, methanol, liquid paraffin and other organic solvents. 70% trimethyl borate and 30% methanol can form an azeotrope. Trimethyl borate is prepared by reacting boric acid and methanol.
- Trimethyl borate is used as a derivatization reagent for gas chromatography analysis, a solvent, a flux, and a catalyst for the manufacture of ketones.
- Used as a dehydrogenating agent, insecticide, organic synthesis, semiconductor boron diffuser. It is an intermediate of potassium (sodium) borohydride.
- Used as a vulcanizing agent, wood preservative, catalyst, gelling agent, heat stabilizer, hydrogen flame extinguishing agent, also used for cotton flame retardant treatment and preparation of active silica, and as a reagent for gas chromatography analysis of carbohydrate derivatives.
- Solvent for paraffin, resin and petroleum. Aromatic halide reacts with methyl borate through Grignard reagent and hydrolyzes to generate phenol. Accelerator of diborane reaction. It is used as a doping source for semiconductors and also for the preparation of high-purity boron.
Production Method of Trimethyl Borate
Trimethyl borate can be synthesized by various methods, such as from pyridine-boron trifluoride complex, or from methanol, boron fluoride, methanol, boric acid, methyl orthosilicate, boron halide, etc.
Diversity of Uses of Sodium Methoxide
Sodium methoxide products come in two forms: solid and liquid. The solid is pure sodium methoxide; the liquid is a methanol solution of sodium methoxide with a sodium methoxide content of 27.5~31%.Sodium methoxide is a mature chemical product with decades of production history in my country.
There are many uses of sodium methoxide, and it plays a different role in different occasions.In perfume, dye and other industries, sodium methoxide is mainly used as a condensing agent and a strong basic catalyst. It is used in small amounts in pesticide production. It can also be used as a catalyst for processing edible fats and oils (especially lard). Sodium methoxide can also be used as an analytical reagent.
The company’s products sell well overseas and have won the trust of many users. Our solid sodium methoxide and sodium methylate solution are sold.